<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

There's so much that goes on here that I often forget stories that are important for me to write down and possibly interesting for you to read.

Cool notes:

1. Make sure you pick up the November issue of Soldier of Fortune. Yo will get a first hand account of what the U.S. Marines were up to as they chased Anti Coalition Militants (ACM) around central Oruzgan. As most of you know, I can get a little long winded, so I'm not sure how much of it Col. Brown edited out. I also sent him a ton of pictures that are yet to be posted on the site, so I'm excited to see which ones made the cut.

2. While I was hanging out with some ETTs (Embedded Training Teams) in Herat a few weeks ago, I noticed a World War I helmet sitting on a shelf. It looked great, other than the dirt and rust on it. Most the dirt came off when I started to drool on it.
Anyway, turns out the guys that were there before from Vermont left it and it really didn't belong to anyone. The following day after I got back from doing my thing, the helmet was sitting on my pack.
Things got better when a passing ETT says, "There's a better on in one of the trucks. A few hours later, I found the truck, and sure enough, there was a World War II German helmet. This one is in excellent condition and appears to have its original paint. One drawback is that someone painted a 1 inch thick red stripe around the helmet.
It's hard to explain, but anyone that knew me growing up would attest to the fact that I was a huge WWII buff (still am). In particular, I had this obsession with the German Army. Even more particular, I was obsessed with their helmet. I have always wanted one of these helmets. It was just one of those things I never acquired. That is until this one day in September when I score one from both World Wars at the same time. Unbelievable. A gigantic shout out to the ETT's of 4/2 Kandak & 5/3 Kandak, all part of the 76th Indiana Infantry for making me so at home on such short notice.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?