<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Sunday, September 05, 2004

I really hate when a few days turn into a week. Things were going so well until that damn bomb went off. The day after, we filed a follow up and I was on my way to Bagram. The plan: Get to Shindand and do some patrolling with the Afghan National Army, get plenty of b-roll for the documentary and work on a follow up to the cease fire that has all the indications will hold. Nice jaunt of no more than six days, putting me one day closer to Amsterdam (Heidi and I are finally going to have a real honeymoon. She's meeting me in Amsterdam for a trip through some of Europe... WoooHoo!).
When I get to the gate, the PAO has been notified and is on his way to pick me up when Istanbul calls and tells me they don't want me leaving Kabul in case there are no explosions. Now this is a place where I know I've grown. I juust drove 60km through the Afghan countryside, made a billion plans when out of the blue: Nope, can't go. A few years back that would burn me up so bad I could hardly think. Nowadays, "Here's my not to but if you say so, it will be!"
So for the past week I've been hanging around Kabul waiting for some spot news. The press conferences have been boring and there's just a real lull over the town. Persoanlly, I don't venture out anymore unless I have to. I actually feel safer in the field chasing Taliban than I do walking around Kabul right now. Everyone knows something is about to happen and everyone is nervous.
Well sourced rumours say there are at least 4 bombs somewhere in the city that are just waiting to be planted. No one from the coalition, to the UN, to me believes the elections will be problem free. Kind of just holding our breath in the meantime.
Personally I'll keep running around the country until the third week of September when I'll head back to the capital to ride out the elections. With transportation so poor here it makes no sense to do election day coverage in a place that takes 3 days to get out of.


***Please check out tthe blog from www.battlefieldtourist.com There's all sorts of pictures and other writtings about the war in Afghanistan.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?