<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, August 27, 2004

Wednesday, August 25th 2004 1145
Khowst, Afghanistan

On Wednesday morning we took a trip into Khowst, my first into this city. Last time I was here, so was FOX's Greg Palkot. Our first day, Greg got to respond to an attack on an American convoy that resulted in the soldiers killing a 17 year old boy.
The boy had ran toward the convoy and tried to throw a grenade into one of the vehicles. Fortunately for the soldiers, the grenade went off in the boy's hand. Seconds later he was cut down by a .50 caliber machine gun before he could get to a second grenade with his one good hand. So as we left the wire, that's what I was thinking about which leads to the tip of the most challenging part of being here.
Unlike Iraq, Afghanistan is just a simmering war, which has its own inherent risks. The nature of the war (only 31 U.S. servicemen killed in 2004 to date) leads to a letting down of one's guard, but it also adds to a sense of constant dread Although not likely to happen, at any given time you could be kidnapped, blown up, ambushed or just simply step on one of the millions of mines scattered around the country. And it could happen anywhere. There is no "bad side" of town. The whole freaking place is a potential health risk.
I'm not sure why I'm thinking this way. Maybe because I know my time will be over in three months, as will the elections. Maybe its because three months is still a long time and it coincides with a first time real discussion with about when to start a family. Who knows...
Khowst itself is very run down. All the streets are dirt/mud and it has a rather tainted smell. Like usual, as we drive by, the children wave, the men just stare and the women are non-existent. Before long we get to the UNAMA compound and set down to talk with a Global Risk guy. These are the former Special Forces types that have been working as unarmed observers trying to get the election process off the ground. They provide the security assessement and possible solutions to problems. Interesting guys, the ones I've met. He went on to tell me that Khowst, a one time Taliban hotbed, is very much involved in the voting process. He said that because the place was so conservative, the Mullahs had huge sway over the people and the Mullahs are supporting the coalition effort. Good news for Karzai, this area is Pashtun. I'm offered a Foster's, which I accept, causing the Marines to instantly drool. They have what's called General Order #1 - No alcohol. Period. Ahhh. It was as good as it sounds.
Afterward we headed off to a military/civilian hospital that was getting some major funding by the local American PRT. I toured inside the current place to see what was in there. In one room was a boy who looked like he'd been burned. He had a tube coming out of him and did his best to smile. Next to him his dad, who looked like his great-grandfather. Further down the hall was a room near full with men. Several had gunshot wounds. I saw a few more rooms with more of the same.
The overall conditions in the place were horrible. It smelled terrible and didn't seem to have much guidance for sanitation. One thing I've learned here is that it is so poor, that often times conditions like this are absolutely unavoidable. And this is the province's main hospital. Afterwards I went back to take some pictures of the boy I saw, which made him smile. I handed his dad $5 and moved on.
Soon the sky grew dark and a thunderstorm came down on us. That got me concerned about joining the Marines in the field. I was also getting pressure to get to Herat, so one the way back I decided I would skip two days of humping up and down mountains in the schorching heat along the Afghan/Pakistani border in favor of trying to catch a plane out to file the two stories I now had.
Once back to the FOB, I checked on a flight and was told there was one I could get on scheduled to go out around 1100. They told me to check back the next day at 1000 ready to go. I spent the rest of the day hanging out with a Marine sniper team, getting some pictures and information for a Soldier of Fortune article I'm working on. Good guys there. Won't go into it much, you'll have to buy the issue which will be out in January or February. Speaking of, there's an article I wrote coming out in November's issue as well, so check it out.

Thursday August 26th, 2004 1000

So I get told my C-130 back to Bagram is coming and I'm stuck in Salerno another day. Nothing I can do about it, so I start getting some writing and editing done while hanging out with some of the Marines. I hear that a patrol is heading out and since I can use the video, I ask to go. It should last four hours.
An hour later I walk by some soldiers talking about being "bumped". That usually means a flight problem. If they are bumped today, the ripple effect would keep me in Salerno until Sunday. So I go to where they schedule the flights to find out what's happening. Turns out the soldiers as a unit weighed too much for the liking of the pilots, so they didn't take them on. Fortunately, me and all my gear comes in under 220lbs. and I was offered a spot on the plane instead and within two hours, I'm sitting at Bagram Air Field waiting to be picked up. My luck continues.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?