<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, August 20, 2004

I've spent nearly a week here in Kabul. About right. Now it's time to take off again. I was originally looking to go back ton Shindand, but I haven't heard from the PAO in 72 hours. Last I heard I was on a 48 hour standby. So I decided to take a different trip out. This time to the border with Pakistan. Apparently I'll be joining up with 3rd Battalion, Sixth Marines (3/6). I'm guessing it is in Kunar Province and the FOB at Asadabad. Who knows.
So I'm supposed to be at Bagram by 5:00 and I still have no armor. What's that you say? No armor? As I jumped on that C-130 in Shindand last week, I only had a quarter of my flak jacket. The rest was sitting on the tarmac and would be picked up by a souvinier hunting Afghan Soldier. It then ended up in the hands of an Embedded Trainer and was supposed to be here in Kabul anytime. Only problem is that It's still not here and it needs a major repair! The whole right side tore at the stich in Herat.
My backup plan is having Ahmed try to borrow some from the Turkish Army. If that doesn't happen and I don't get mine repaired in time, I guess I'm missing my chopper today. That wouldn't be good because I'm tired of sitting here and I'm ready to go.
Something has changed here since my vacation. I'm sure it has to do with the main two changes: Me being bureau chief and the internet. That's right... we have the internet.
Earlier this week we decided to paint the office. On the same day, the internet guy shows up and for an extra $100, we can get internet that day! Holy crap. So we spend the day painting and gettting the place looking good for the uupcoming elections. We should be fairly busy, so it needs to look good and we needed internet. Got'em both on the same day.
Unfortunatly, internet is kind of like crack to these guys. After just one week I am about to throw down rules on internet usage. We aren't paying for information sent and recieved, but this is an important research/communications tool that can't be utilized right now because there is always someone on the line chatting or surfing or whatever. So today... things may get a little wierd. For the most part, we all stay in the compound right now, only emerging when we have a story to shoot or an interview/press conference.
The shop in general is having a mood swing. Some guys are homesick, others are pessimistic and yet others clueless and content. We've slowed our pace some because we have been getting slaughtered by Iraq and Najaf. That is a bit demoralizing: That you can't sell anything on Afghanistan because of Iraq, even going into the political season both here, and in the U.S. It amazes me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?