<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, June 04, 2004

###Second submission today. Start below###

***Also - Check out the final set of 22nd MEU pictures at www.iha.com.tr and look at story #16554

Once we get back into Ripley,I immediately head to S-1 to try to get a flight out that night. No luck. There is a chopper tomorow at 2pm. Not bad. One more night in this sandbox won't kill me.
The ride back in was very nice. We were in a CH-46 and flying at most 200 feet abouve the ground. The first part was through high canyons that were just beautiful to watch go by. If there's one thing for sure: Getting paid to take these rides is very good.
So the plan is to feed when I get back and leave in the morning. By now I've acquired an AK-47 for the trip home and all we need to do is pack.
Of course Nadir is elated that I'm back. "Oh David, I'm so bored..." is all I hear. So we're gonna get back to Kabul so I can renew my very outdated visa and head back to Kandahar to join the marines for one last operation.
The morning begins at 4am, which is first light here. We pack it up, pay the Germans back for waking us the week before and we set off into Taliban country hoping to God we don't attract any in our white jeep that says "TV" on it and has a satellite dish attached to the roof.
As soon as we leave the gate I get the AK out, pop the magazine in, and set it between my legs. If we were going down this day, someone was going with. Hopefully, that will not be needed.
As in the last time I drove this, the sunrise is spectacular. This trip, however, I had my eye on the road and everyone on it. I looked at hill tops and ambush spots. The pistol grip of my AK rarely left my hand.
Every thing was going fine until about 6 hours into the trip in the city of Moqur. We're still in Taliban country and our trailer's right wheel breaks at the axle...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?