<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, June 25, 2004

Friday was lining up to be a rather busy day. Considering this was the day originally set for me to leave, it is ironic that it turned into one of the busiest since I've been here.
It started out rather simple. Nevermind the fact that I was about to conduct the biggest interview of my life.
Like usual, I was up rather early. Turns out Abdullah is going to be my cameraman/interpreter. To be honest, considering I'm about to interview the President of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai, the thought of using Abdullah scares me. Don't get me wrong, I love Abdullah to death, but it's President Karzai. Just two days ago Abdullah's video for a story about cinemas returning to Afghanistan was blue.
I really got the heebeegeebee's when he started to prepare to take the mDV Panasonic DVX-100. Once again, don't get me wrong: I'm a strong supporter of the small and comparatively cheap cameras for many situations, President Karzai isn't one of them.
So we make it out the door on time (9:45) and head to the Presidential Palace. There's other media folk there too, which has me confused. We all get the major shakedown on both person and equipment and are led into the compound.
After we're done being fondled, we are led along what looks like a castle wall and through what seems like a huge castle gate (maybe it is a castle?). On each side of the gate are two antique cannons of the gigantic variety.. Through the gate and you're in the garden that leads to where I suppose we'll meet the president.
We're led into this large room that looks like a banquet room in some grand... uh... castle
(Seriously, it's not a castle, but it definitely has the feel). They sit us in there, give us some tea and nuts and we wait a bit, chatting with the other journos. Abdullah and I get some extra attention as they prepare us to do the interview. By this, I mean, I get questioned about everything you can think about from who I am to what I plan to ask. Unfortunately I have four questions from Istanbul and have zero input into their content. Good for me that a few minutes later I'm told, "You can ask anything you want..." Oh boy... that's a door that should not be opened.
Soon they led us up to an even grander room where we once again wait a second. Abdullah and I are told to start to set up, while the others get ready to do a photo op (which we had no idea about). Soon I figure it out that not only are we exclusive to get an interview, but EVERYONE there knows it. Feels kind of good to be swarmed with the envy of Reuters and APTN!! That's right, on the eve of the NATO Summit, it is me that gets the interview. I'm stoked.
So everyone gets their 2 minute picture op and than are rushed out of the room. An AFP reporter traveling with Karzai asks me if he can sit in on the interview (must be a big ticket). I told him I didn't care and it was up to the bodyguards. They must've said no because he was gone when I turned around.
Tick tock... Finally some four star general walks out (Joint Chief of Staff or something) and I know it's about to get going.... tick tock... Then President Karzai comes out. The former Mujahadeen leader and one of the bravest heads of state in recent times is about to enter the "Dave Zone". Not really. Actually I was kind of in awe.
He comes out speaking one of the Afghan languages (I think Farsi), but I switch it over to English as soon as I'm introduced. Karzai takes his seat and I work to put the lavaliere on him while Abu adjusts his shot. Of course I'm trying the small talk thing while I play with his jacket and the mic. I think it worked.
So the interview begins. I start with scripted questions concerning the summit and then move into a balance of mine and the script. In all I got in about eight questions (four more than scheduled) and overall, I was very pleased with how it turned out (go to www.iha.com.tr and look up story #17250). The best part was at the end when I pressed him on why the Muslim world is giving Afghanistan so little. He said, "Ok, interview's over!" It wasn't mean or anything. Probably because I said "last question" three times.
Afterward I did something I never do, and that's ask for a picture of us. He graciously complies and then moves off to his next whatever.
<FORWARD>> - After the interview this officer comes up to me and says, "You can fly with the president to Istanbul!"
Obviously I am blown away. Unfortunately I cannot relish the moment because I need to be on the other side of town in less than an hour to do a street patrol with the Canadiens. So I jet home, feed in the interview, call Istanbul with the good news, wolf down lunch, change and get on the road to Camp Julian. Once again, right on time - 12:45.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?