<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Before long, two men dressed in western attire, but clearly Afghan, came up the hill from the direction of the valley and a bridge that ran across the fast moving river.
It turns out the men are with the United Nations mine clearing efforts and the gunshots were to warn of an impending mine explosion. The men hustled up the mountain when they saw the soldiers deploy to avert a possible tragedy. Although that was highly unlikely.
We continued moving up the river valley which was absolutely beautiful. The roads were very narrow and the towns we passed through built up the side of the mountain. I literally had to pull in the side mirror on a regular bases to keep it from knocking out a wall or something.
One time we were passing a group of people who just sat there and watched us as we got closer. As we were literally passing them they decided to move at the last minute. Not fast enough as the mirror smacked a teen in the ass as we went by.
That wasn't the only close call. I often times on this patrol found myself looking down at the front tire yelling out, "Two feet!! One foot!! You have inches!!". All I could think about was all the soldiers in Irag who have been killed by rollover hummers.

TOP TEN WAYS DAVE CAN GET KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN

1. Traffic Accident
2. Being hit by a car
3. Helicopter Crash
4. Mine or IED
5. Kidnap/Murder
6. Hostile Fire
7. Friendly Fire
8. Heat Related Condition
9. Malaria
10. The Food

*lack of beer was not considered because it's a recreational thang!

Eventually we made our way to an incredibly stunning area and started regrouping in the river bed. There was some talk that we were going to drop the men off here to bivouac, but then it was decided we would go back a few miles to a more defendable spot.
The village that enjoyed this scenic spot was nestled on the mountainside amongst heavy tree cover. Unfortunately, it was here that we also felt some of the most negative of vibes.
While waiting for all of the trucks to get into the riverbed to turn around, I broke out an MRE and started chowing. Like usual, I ended up giving away most of my lunch to the local kids. It's hard not to do as much as it's hard to do. The problem is that the kids have no concept of the word limited. I understand it. It's like bringing a bag of candy to class and only having enough for a few. Better than nothing here, in my opinion.
As we turned around the first deuce and a half started back up the steep, narrow incline, the rocks and soil under the front right tire gave way and the truck pitched sharply and almost rolled down the slope into the water.
For the next hour, the fate of the truck became the village spectacle. Occasionally the driver would try to gun it and get up the hill, only to continue eroding away the road and coming closer to rolling. At one point, the villagers clapped when the track almost went over. They did have smiles on their faces so I'm not sure if it was amusement or happiness.
Finally, the driver did what I would have done an hour before; back the truck up into the riverbed, realign the tires, then give it another try. It works and were are on our way again.
About two miles up the road, we pull off at a hillside clinic funded by the U.N.. This is where they decide to camp. The area is very defendable with just one way up and three sides protected by sheer cliffs. From these cliffs, you look up the deep valley that has a spectacular view of the river and its gorge below. Without a doubt, if Afghanistan ever becomes safe, this area would make it inhabitants rich as an extreme kayak/rafting location. From this vantage point I declared that it was the most beautiful spot I have seen in Afghanistan, and I've seen a few.
I quickly do an interview with on of the advisors and we make the decision to head back. It had taken us eight hours to get here so we had a long way to go.
A short way down the road and we see two men in civilian clothes with AK-47's moving along the river about 300 meters away. As soon as they saw us see them, they both ducked behind a wall. I said to Brian, "Did you see that?" He had, and we kept on moving.
An hour later we pass a mini van as another man with an Ak-47 and in civilian clothes is climbing in. Inside the van, Brian notices another 4-5 men, with rifles.
We keep on moving.
To me, it was clear that these guys were heading toward the men we just dropped off and it bothered me that the patrol wasn't stopping to check these guys. Every single unit I've been with in this country would have at least taken the weapons. Here in Afghanistan, you may own an AK-47, you just need the proper paperwork. You don't have it, you lose your rifle.
When we got back to Jalalabad, I asked Major Crell (Team Leader) why they weren't stopping these guys. He told me that the mission of the ANA was not to enforce "martial law" and that confiscating weapons were not part of their mission. He insisted that their mission was security and presence. I didn't argue the statement, but in my head I thought to myself that there will be no security until men in civilian clothes are disarmed.
I brought my questions to the intelligence officer who agreed with my assessment and opted to call Major Mitchell back at the camp and tell him what we had seen.
I was also invited to stay inn Brian' room with hi and Sgt. Stuckey. That worked out well. They had a TV, satellite and A.C. This would be my main hangout the next two days

Sunday June 21

The next morning the first thing I heard was that the camp had been attacked. The attack was a full on assault, just some sporadic small arms fire and a rocket that overshot the bivouac. Regardless, it confirmed our thoughts. Fortunately, no one was injured.
The day itself was uneventful as I sat around the PRT wishing a helicopter in. No luck.

Monday June 22

Got a chopper in the early afternoon and made my way back to Kabul. When I got here they were doing a live interview with the NATO representative to Afghanistan, which pushed my story production back two hours.
I finally got done around 9:30 and hit the rack.

ps - Did I tell you that Soldier of Fortune may be interested in publishing an article on the 22nd MEU that I wrote!! Talk about COOL!!!




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?