<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Sunday May 9th

Today is pretty boring. Not really a problem for me because I'm a bit sore from yesterday. Me and Alvarez hang around the base relaxing. I do some writing and as much eating as I can, and wait. There isn't a supply run until tomorrow at the earliest.
So I spend the day writing and and being lazy. Into the early afternoon, a patrol spends a few hours preparing for a recon mission. Their goal is to climb to the top of Afghan Gahr, a large mountain off to our east. It's supposed to have a Taliban presence on it.
Alvarez and I pretty much decide we will be on any reaction team that would respond in the event the 12 man patrol got into trouble. They were sending 12 guys out, on an 8-hour hump over a wicked mountain. I kept thinking that there was no way these guys would make it back by dark, and for some reason just 10 minutes before they left, I decided to join them.
25 minutes into the hump and I recall saying to myself, "Well, there's no turning back now." That is definitely an indication things are going to be rough. The terrain is very rugged and very steep. I was able to keep up (and some) on the Marines. Fortunately, I didn't have to hump a weapon. This hump required climbing, which benefited me having my hands free. Regardless, it was a tormenting hike. Both up and down the mountain my legs and back burned.
On the bright side, it was beautiful once at the top. The view just spectacular. We all talked about how the view and terrain was so similar to 29 Palms, California. I definitely recall having visions of the notorious Mount M***** F***** at Camp Pendleton. That was the previous champion of hell hikes. The year was 1985. So 19 years later, I'm humping up Mt. Doom in Afghanistan with my beloved Marines. OOHH-RAHHH!!
It was so hard and we ran out of light with an hour to go. At one point we thought we saw a man crouching on a hilltop. Three of us saw him move. It was a rock. Didn't matter, to be safe we fanned out and went over another steep hill. By now, we are all in pain and still 2 kilometers from home.
We finally made it back to the wire and we were being debriefed when the alarm went off. All hands to fighting holes and it wasn't a drill. Sounds exciting, but it wasn't. I sat in the chaplin's hole and ate some food while gingerly organizing my thoughts and gear. I was definitely impressed I made it. Now I just dreaded waking up. We had a convoy to catch at 4:30 am.

Monday May 10th

I didn't sleep well at all so when 4:00 am rolled around, I was miserable. Like usual, the trucks were packed with Marines. Fortunately we had snipers with us who were getting out two hours up the road, so it wasn't that bad.
By the time we made it to Ripley six hours later, we were covered in dust and sweat. Being dirty here is a conclusion. There is nothing you can do about, you just get dirty. Very dirty.
N ow that we're at Ripley, I find out that CNN ended up going out on patrol, so this puts the heat on me. Nic has a satellite phone, but that doesn't make for quality pictures, so if I can get to Kandahar tonight, before he does, I will have a headstart on getting the first video out on the Marines. This is a big deal.
Fortunately four planes are leaving that night, so Madelline and I get to Kandahar the same day. Unfortunately, the last plane to Bagram just left and there are no flights on Tuesday. CNN could catch up.

Tuesday May 11th

I get up and get my first shower in a week. The best part about not getting a shower for a week is that first shower... boy it felt good.
After I got some chow and headed up to the PX area to get a haircut and buy a few things. I asked the guy to trim my new goutee, and he all but cut it off. Oh well, I was feeling good regardless.
On the way back to the tent, I decide to check to see if some random flights are leaving for Bagram . My experience proves flights pop up out of nowhere. So I walk in and it turns out there are TWO flights. The first has roll call in less than two hours.
I quickly put our names on the list and set out to find Cpl. Alston, who is with Madelline. This is an awesome break because this all bit assures my vido will be the first to make it out. Under equipped, I will beat CNN head to head.
Our flight leaves at the ever preferred time of 4:20, and we're back in Bagram by 6:00. Madelline's driver meets us and we're in Kabul an hour later. Everything like clockwork.
Of course my night is just starting because this video has to get out. We cut 7 minutes in all and feed it down. IHA is elated. I'll feed a story a day for the next 3-4 days while I get ready for my next trip to the field. Not only does my video show the first action that is available of the Marines, I also have video of special forces leading Afghan soldiers. This is rare, if not a first. Good news: CBS bought my stuff, so watch CBS and if you see it, it's mine!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?