<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Well, as my nature goes, I fired off an email to the PAO (a US Major) and asked some provocative questions about their "embed" system. See, things here are much different then Iraq. Their idea here of an embed, is sticking you in the field for a week like a bunch of tourists, then it's over. According to the DoD, an embed is supposed to be assigned a unit, and that person sticks with that unit for however long it takes. My original plans were to be with a unit for 6-8 weeks. That is the premise I was hired under, and that's the goal I need to attain. Unfortunately, the army has a different idea, and when in Rome....
My problem is, that I know there's at least a SIX man FOX crew, with satellite, at one of the best FOB in the theater. My questioning isn't about being a baby, iit's a matter of fairness. Unfortunately, I am not getting the answers I need, so I've decided to stick with the "honey" approach versus the "vinegar". Regardless, my tactics worked.
The reply to my email was stern, but cordial. At the end, Major Moon said, "On a good note, call me, something came up." So I did. Turns out NBC backed out of a trip to Ghazni, so it was offered, and accepted by me. The problem the PAO is having (and me), is that the MAJOR networks, if they don't get the plum assignment, they back out. I've told the army, I'll take any of them as long as it doesn't screw me for the "plum" assignments. I've been assured it won't, so it's off to Ghazni.
Now Ghazni is a hotbed of Taliban activity. I will not be at all surprised if something interesting happens this week. I'll spend much of my time with the PRT
(Provincial Reconstruction Team). These are the folks in charge of working to rebuild their particular province. Unfortunately, they get shot at and rocketed all the time, so we'll see.
I have to be at Bagram tonight for a chopper ride sometime tomorrow, so this will probably be the last entry for a week or so. Thanks for reading and check back often.
Also, if anyone is interested in contributing to the "Dave & Heidi" fund, feel free to do so at: 510 Highland SW, Roanoke, Va. 24016. This is not tax deductible, but I can guarantee we'll spend the money wisely in Amsterdam for our reuniting vacation!! Also, anyone interested in getting me Apple computer software called, "Garage Band" ($49.95), that would be cool too. Sometimes (most) it gets boring here. Stay fed and be happy as all hell you were born in America.

** Since I wrote this, I've had it out with the Turks. For some reason, they want to laugh at me when I tell them simple things like, "clean the cameras or they will break". I don't like being laughed at, especially right now. So they got an English lesson in the F-word. Glad I'm going to Ghazni.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?