<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Saturday, April 24, 2004

Today is one of those days that you wish you didn't wake up. I got up early as usual and headed straight to the internet cafe by 7am. The killing of NFL'r Patrick Tillman broke the night before and like most assignment desks, our desk wanted impossible things: Shots of the coffin, interviews, etc... It's amazing what the people in the main office think can be accomplished, whether here or in the states.
Regardless, Ahmed and I worked late trying to fulfill the requests, to know avail.
For whatever reason, the boiling point in the house reached a new level after this. On the way back from the internet cafe, everyone but me started to argue. Not knowing the language, I have no idea what it was about.
Personally, I was trying to convince IHA to sell live hits of me reporting the death of Tillman and was in a hurry to get back. I jumped out of the car and apparently "slammed" the car door. This prompted Erdell to get out of the car and start yelling about me in Turkish. This just escalated inside and Erdel ended up pushing Ahmet around a few times, then me. That has, and never will be a good thing, so he got pushed back. Things almost came to blows, bosses got called and the night sucked. In sign language I told him if he ever touched me again, we'd be brawling. Obviously tis is no way to cooperate as a team. The boss in Turkey handed out warnings and we all kissed and made up. Unfortunately, the tension is still in the air. I still haven't figured it out, but there appears to be a major jealousy factor going on. Perhaps now that things nearly got out of hand, things may start to cool down.
On the way to the cafe, I realized I was getting sick. I got there and there still wasn't much info out there, so I came back to the house and get ready for the press conference that is normally scheduled for Saturday.
Suprisingly, they actually named Tillman in the release and they took some questions on it. Very sad this guy. This guy left a multi-million dollar career, and he is killed in action. Only one word comes to my mind: Patriot.
Turns out, I'm scheduled to go to the very area he was killed today or Sunday. At the press conference, Major Moon said I was heading to Salerno (yesterday it was Khowst). Regardless, the area is dangerous and we'll see how it goes.
In the meantime, I'm a sick as I've been here. Last time it was pain with fluid trouble, this time I feel sick and can't hold any water. I've rested most of the day, but still feel awful as I write.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?