<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, April 23, 2004

Our final mission in Ghazni was cancelled, so we decided to leave a day early. Apparently the previous week, the battalion we were with nabbed the #2 and #3 guys from a cell of local terrorists. This in turn put pressure on the #1, who was a mullah, and he came and turned himself in. From that point on, this guy started to "sing like a bird", according to the Colonel. So the plan was scrapped to raid the intended compounds.
The new plan is simple: The captured Taliban say there are two separate factions working in the Ghazni area. The captured trio have been providing excellent intell about the rival group. So the army is going to squeeze what they can out of them. When the info is enough, the army will go after the rest of the first group. In effect getting both major groups in the area at the same time.
So with the mission scrapped, we grabbed a CH-47 to Bagram. Remarkably, for the first time since I've been here, everything ran on time. Probably because a general was with us plus two of the Taliban prisoners.
When we got to Bagram, Ahmed was waiting to pick us up. We gave the Knight-Ridder photographer (Tom) a ride back into Kabul. Just spent a week with this guy and we was cool as hell. Actually going to miss him. Apparently he is about to get sent to Iraq. Can only wish him luck.
As soon as we got to Kabul, we had breaking news, so there was no chance to even put my gear down. We race off to an area in the center of town where ISAF and government forces have the streets blocked. Turns out there's a bomb being defused. For whatever reason, the iSAF guy in charge (a Norwegian, wouldn't let us take pictures. He claimed the tech working the bomb didn't want his picture on TV for his wife's sake. I say it was a crap excuse).
Ahmed and I decided to approach from across the river to get the shot. So we moved through the slums, parked the car and took off on foot. This place is so dirty, you can hardly believe it. People literally just stop and go to the bathroom wherever they please. Everywhere is mud mixed with feces and urine; the smell is horrible.
We make it opposite the bomb disposal team using trucks as cover. We set up and get the shot. While Ahmed is shooting, I'm scouting for better spots. The looks I got this day were a first. Literally, people standing a foot from me, just staring in disbelief. I wasn't scared, but I could tell they were absolutely confounded by my presence. I just say "salaam ailikuem" and ignore it. All the while staying aware of what is around me and what is approaching me.
Finally the Canadians see us and turn their flood lights on so we can't shoot anymore. Too late. We have the exclusive and we take off to feed it in.
Turns out that four men were arrested earlier, one with the bomb. It had been an ongoing "sting" investigation that later in the night would lead to the arrests of 13 more suspected terrorists staying at a known leader's home. Still bothers me that ISAF hinders our job. It's difficult to show the world the good things ISAF is doing for security when they themselves won't let us do our job.
Now that I'm back, I start cranking out stories I'd been putting together all week. It's during this time that I realize I am not the outsider. In fact, there is a serious rift in the house that has nothing to do with me, sort of.
Apparently Ahmed and Nadir have worked together for two years and the other three are relatively new; getting here a month before me. These are the two factions in the house. Ahmed obviously lines me up on his side, which is my preference. The other group sleeps late, gets little work done and they shop like women. This is all getting to Ahmed and the rift is very noticeable.
I clearly have an "in" with the army, which is also making the others a bit jealous. That is why I'm here in the first place, so no worries from me. I already have another mission lined up for a few days which prompted Kammal to say, "You are a good reporter". It was a compliment, but said with a jealous twang.
Major Moon has given me the option to go to Paktika Province near Pakistan, to the firebase at Khost. This is where the current action is and is probably the most dangerous place for US soldiers in the country. This is the place I've been fighting to get to for a month. Unfortunately, the decision is not easy. I am told I can either go to Khost (where others are and have been for some time), or I can wait a few weeks to embed with the marines that are preparing for an offensive in Kandahar and Urzugan Provinces. Tough decision. After complaining about not getting to Paktika Province, I find myself in the position of actually turning the mission down in hopes I can embed with the marines. Decisions, decisions.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?