<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Friday, April 16, 2004

Hey everyone.. just wanted to say, "hi". Things are going fine here. I'm on a firebase in Ghazni right now. Did a long patrol today: Seven hours there and back on a bumpy as hell ride. I can't even sit dow right now my ass hurts so bad. On the way back we got lost in the worst sandstorm I've ever been in. Not a good thing when you're in a minefield. Everything worked out fine, though.
The chopper ride here from Bagram was cool as it gets. We were flying so low the goatss were running and the mountins were above us. Hadn't been on a CH-53 since my Marine days in 1987. Back thenn, they would fly us ouut to the middle of nowhere (in the desert) and make us walk back in. Not the case this time. We landed at the firebase, got and all was well.
Soon after we got to Ghazni, a pair of Israeli "journalists" showed up. Now mind you, Islamic countries do not let Israelis in... somehow, these two clowns got in, with Israeli passports!! They claim they are the first, and I believe that. What I don't believe is their bullcrap story about what they're doing here. They claim to be doing a documentary for Channel 2 (ISRAEL). Whatever. These two clowns look like two freak college kids backpacking through Europe. One guy shows up with a F*** t-shirt on. Neither have bulletproof vests or helmets, and neither had any clue they needed shots and malaria medicine (it's a particularily bad strain here). When I told them they should consider getting protection so they could go on future missions (it's mandatory), they said in a hebrew accent, "Don't you worry about us." I replied with a chuckle, "I'm not worried, you should be worried." So, our "guide" decided it was best he accompany those two fools, which meant I got to go alone on patrol. That was fun. Just hanging with the soldiers with no babysitter!
Last night wasn't such a good thing. Expecting hot weather, I have a ligt sleeping bag. Thing is, Ghazni is at 7,500 feet. It's called a "high desert". I call it a cold desert because last night I froze my ass off. I know I got some sleep somewhere because I dreamed about my old girlfriend, Leigh. In the dream, I crashed her engagement party of something like that. All my friends were there, so I thought it was no big deal. People kept getting angry at me and telling me to leave. Even my brother was there and he's never even met the woman, I don't think. What a strange dream. Even stranger, it would pick up where it left off when I fell asleep again. How nuts. I'm a stranger in a strange land - U2/1981.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?