<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Monday, March 29, 2004

Yes... doing what I do is exciting and a pain in the ass at the same time. Understand that there is a battle behind the scenes before you even step foot in Afghanistan. This correspondence begins at the bottom of this post and works up. I know, it's backwards, so is life sometimes.
================================================
================================================


Sir,

Thank you for you message. The Kabul Press Center located at the CFC-A Headquarters approximately ½ mile southwest of the U.S. Embassy in Kabul. When you arrive in Kabul I would suggest you come by our office in Kabul as soon as possible so we may complete our credentialing process and arrange for your visits to our facilities. We will credential you, discuss your visiting our facilities and make arrangements for those visits. You will need to bring 2 forms of identification and verification of your employment as a journalist.

Sir, I am quite aware of your needs and concerns. We will do our best to accommodate your needs and requests however transportation, weather, operational factors and the large influx of media into our area may impact when, where and if we can facilitate your visit.

Additionally, I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact but another IHA broadcast journalist, Ahmed, just returned from a week long media opportunity to Orgun that was not afforded to many others on the current embed request list.

Below is a suggested packing list that you should bring with you.

Embedded Media Packing Requirements/Checklist

1. All Media must have appropriate gear prior to being embedded into Coalition operations. Gear should include:

* Proper field gear for the weather conditions at the time of the embed:
* Sleeping bag
* Field pack
* Canteen
* Clothes (nothing that is brightly colored - soldiers wear camouflaged clothing and equipment for concealment and protection)(no military uniforms please)
* Water purification tablets
* Waterproof boots (your boots will be needed for hiking - they should be comfortable and durable for mountainous conditions)
* Wet weather gear
* Cold weather gear
* Flashlight with red lens (extra batteries)
* Flak jacket and Kevlar helmet
* Necessary reporting equipment

2. Media will fill our next of kin information on a 3x5 card to include:

* Name and address of nearest living relative
* Social Security number
* Age
* Blood Type
* Religion
* Any additional information or requests

3. Media will not bring anything that may compromise the security of operations or troops, i.e. satellite phones.

4. If you have any questions about what to bring, please ask.

Please contact me with your questions or concerns.

MAJ Steven R. Moon, Director
Kabul Press Center
Commander, 211th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment


Thank you for the reply.

I do understand the logistical situation, however, I have been working with Major Sater and Col. Davis since last August to operate out of an FOB (Forward Operating Base), long before this new throng of media attention. I am a bit troubled that I am now at the back of the line, so to say.

It is unfortunate that the command has changed just as I am set to come and I am a bit frustrated that the contacts and work I have been preparing for may not be realized.

I guess my thing is, that I wanted to help bring your story out when everyone else was in Iraq, now that I am coming, I feel that all of that has gone down the tubes because of this new wave of journalists. In my mind, I feel I should be granted this access because of the fact that I am not chasing a story, nor have my goals changed since the first day I contacted CENTCOM. I started this process long ago to avoid this problem and hope you understand my position. Of course I can only do what I can do, but it is very dissapointing none the less.

Also, we already have a team in Kabul. My sole mission is to be in the field, OUT of Kabul. Do I not get consideration for having been planning so long? I do appreciate the chance to be at your press briefings, but I am a videojournalist, which means I need pictures of coalition forces doing their job in the field.

As I mentioned before, my company supplies video and pictures to ALL stations worldwide. I do both. Nothing is exclusive, which makes my situation advantageous to you.

To understand: Major Sater told me, "All you need to do is get here and we'll embed you". His words and my expectation. I have been hired based on this premise, so you may see my desperation. However, I'll just do what I can with what you offer. Unfortunately, that means I will be forced to find another way, which is obviously very dangerous.

Also, if it is possible, please forward the guidelines again. Maj. Moon sent them when I was in the states and for whatever reason, it is no longer in my mailbox.

See you soon, Colonel.

Dave Tate
IHA News Agency


You're certainly welcome to attend our three-times-a-week news conferences in Kabul and to cover Afghan National Army training (in Kabul as well). You
are also welcome to cover our Provincial Reconstruction Team at Kandahar. We possibly can get you out to one of our forward operating sites where we have Infantry as well as Civil Affairs providing a long-term presence among the
population.
As I'm sure Maj Sater told you, one of the problems we face is that there
are only 13,000 coalition troops here and we are innundated with media on
the ground (though you may not have seen it on the networks, there has been numerous media from around the world on the ground here continuously since the beginning), so we cannot guarantee we can get you exacty where you want to go.
I assume since you've been in touch with Maj Sater, you've been in touch
with Major Steve Moon, the Coalition Press Information Center commander.
Maj Moon has sent you the information on accreditation etc. He has the site picture on the logistics of getting the numerous media out and about.



Subject: David Tate embed


Lt. Col.,

I will be flying into Kabul Tuesday night and spend a few days getting
acclimated to the new home. Again, I am looking to get into the field as
soon as possible (FOB). I realize you are busy, but some sort of response
would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dave Tate
IHA News Agency

ps - I travel light and will be alone.



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?