<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Monday, March 15, 2004

So even when things are supposed to slow down, they don't. For me, at least, it seems to speed up. Maybe it's just because I still feel like I'm in limbo. Facing the prospects I do, that alone could be causing the stress. In all reality, the job with IHA seems like the real deal. However, having been burned before and sensing a little weirdness, I'm not counting anything in. The good part is that if IHA falls through, I have a nice job waiting for me up in Washington. Wow, that day was nuts.
So why am I stressing. Considering the size of the company IHA is, I can't imagine why I am going through all this fuss to get a plane ticket. They want to buy it, but they want to pay me back. No can do. So here I wait for the ticket. Being the pessimist I am, I'm not going to be satisfied this is really happening until I'm leaving Istanbul for Kabul.
The ticket thing isn't the only oddity. Now you have to remember, I haven't even had an interview nor sent a tape. They are genuinely interested in me based on my picture and resume. I suspect being an American is a bonus somewhere. Netting this job like I have has a few people wondering about the company itself. I assure you, IHA is a good sized company with good resources. I can't wait to work with them.
=================================================================================

My Theory:

IHA has been in the news business for just over 10 years now. They primarily cover hot spots of Central Asia and the Middle East. From what I gather, they have done well, but are just realizing a new market: English-speaking networks. I'm guessing they are adding native-English speakers to various positions. Being an American is probably different, so that may have helped. I also think with my resume including recent work in Turkey helped. Most importantly, they need someone in Kabul now, so when you consider I have been planning a trip to Kabul for six months, it would make sense I would qualify for this position.

=================================================================================
What's so wild about all of this is that the resume to IHA was the last one I would send out. I had a job interview at WJLA in DC and was confident I would get an offer, then BANG - the day before - I get an email saying they want me for a job that I have only dreamed about. It's so crazy how this is happening. We'll just have to see where it goes.

Well, it is late and I'm pulling an all nighter. This short notice about Afghanistan... ****BREAKING NEWS****

From Turkey

Everything ok Dave
My travel agency is working to make the payment...in about one hour they'll finish it..And then you'll pick up your tickets...
Ismail

That's definitely a good sign.

Where was I... oh yeah. I have to pull an all nighter to get a project done that's due tommorow (or today that is). I also have to work my last shift at the radio station and I have a doctor's appointment... hence the all-nighter. ack!

And finally, if you didn't see this before, here it is. The picture is one I took in Iraq last year!

http://www.reliefweb.int/appeals/2003/files/irq03flash2.pdf

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?