<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Thursday, March 25, 2004

I'm not sure how much I can write... very hungover, don't have my glasses, and I think ye ol' vomit train is near. On a fresher note:
IHA has offered me a contract which I plan to accept. The money is good, not great, but the percentage commission I've been offered should make up for it. Looks like I'm flying to Kabul at 1 am Saturday. Yipee. Didn't even know planes took off that late. Unfortunately, that kind of screws things up because I dicovered the night life of Istanbul last night and I want more!!!
I met my friend, Elif last night in Taksim Square. This is the main action area of Istanbul. What a cool place. Dozens of blocks of pedestrian roads filled with shops, clubs, and thousands of people. A great blast! It was so good to see Elif. Hadn't seen her since the war more than a year ago. She seems to be doing well.
While I waited for her at the Maramar hotel Cafe, I was entertained by a dog just outside the window from where I sat. I first noticed the mangy thing as it walked toward me with a chunk of meat in his mouth. He ended up sitting on a piece of carpet in the corner that appeared to be it!s normal sitting place. Definately out of place consideing I was at a five star hotel. Once he was done eating, he would wag his tail and roll around; completely oblivious to what was going on around him. I can only assume he is a hotel fixture.
After Elif arrived, she took me into the square where I ran into one of the coolest nightlife areas I'd ever seen. The word "bustling" is an understatement. We ended up at another cafe where I met some of her journalist friends. In this cafe, there was also a resident animal. This time a cat. Imagine this little cafe filled with people and an old cat just sitting there sleeping on the bench next to me. Very sweet. Turned out to be a great night for sure. Too bad I got too drunk and couldn't sleep because right now I have the worst headache and simply feel like crap. That's OK, I guess... there isn't any drinking in Kabul, so I had to get in one last doozy (and boy did I).
Looks like IHA doesn't want me in Kabul too much. I was told to go "get my bearings", but that my main job is to work with the US Army in the hunt for bin Laden. Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the military in a few days and am starting to worry I will not be able to produce like they want me to. We'll see. Right now, everyone is running around trying to get all of my things together so I can fly out tommorow night... but to be honest, I wish I could stay until Tuesday. Afterall, I STILL have my Roanoke Catholic project to complete and it needs to be sent before I go. Unfortunately, my computer charger isn't working properly, so I am definately worried I'll not get it done in time.
I'd love to write more, but I feel like crap and am truly not in the mood.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?