<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Monday, January 26, 2004

Well... the new adventure is about to truly begin... I hope. I have decided that it's time to go to Afghanistan. There are many places I want to go, but for a few reasons, the story in Afghanistan is the one we're going to pursue.
We are calling this docu-series, "The Backseat War". The reason is obvious and is connected to the lack of attention on Afghanistan due to the invasion of Iraq. Some have asked me, "what slant are you going to take?". It is a valid question in a way, but only so based on ignorance of who I am.
First: I have decided that Afghanistan is the story because I believe that it is a story that would be noticeable enough on the PBS circuit to eventually be distributed internationally. In short: I want my show, "The Battlefield Tourist" to be a benchmark program on PBS that not only solidifies my crew, but also WBRA as players in the field of quality, independent programming.
So what are we doing? Without getting into too many details, the meat is that Ben and I will travel to Afghanistan where we will embed with an Army or Marine unit that is in an active combat zone. We plan to stay with this unit for up to eight weeks. During this time, we will produce dozens of segments based on the everyday lives of the soldiers and marines on the front line in Afghanistan. This docu-series will focus more on the efforts of these few dozen men instead of taking an empirical look at the situation in Afghanistan. Simply: The goal is to portray as accurately as possible, a day on the front line in the true "War on Terror".
Currently we have teamed up with WBRA (PBS-Roanoke) and we have begun the long and expensive task of preparing a grant. The grant money we are looking for will allow a two man team to go to Afghanistan. It allows for post production as well. Additionally, we are budgeting for an interactive website and a photo book to expand on the knowledge presented in the docu-series.
We are very excited about this and will begin sending out our proposal to various foundations in hopes of securing up to $120,000. To do this, we have hired Grant Proposal and research Services from Knoxville, Tennessee to help us properly prepare our grant proposal. We believe this extra effort in addition to joining forces with PBS, is what will put us over the top in which we will realize our dreams.
Be assured that if this first opportunity happens, we will be in a fantastic position to increase the likelihood that we will be able to continue producing this series of programming.
If this doesn't work, I expect to be back in local TV soon, knowing that I did my best.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?