<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Monday, February 17, 2003

Roanoke Times Headline: NATO: WE WILL DEFEND TURKEY
-France shut out of alliance decision

Pertinent shortwave frequencies:

BBC - 15.565k VOA - 15.205
9.410

So, anticipating a long wait before something would happen here, I decide, I gotta take this job... just three days and they said they would pay me immediately. They better... if not, my cash flow will be screwed. Another gamble. I didn't sleep well and had to ge up early knowing the trip to Gaziantep would be tough. Two legs in fact. More than 700km in SE Turkey in some very crappy weather.
The best part about Turkey is that it's cheap to get service here. Definately an eco-style travel destination for the fiscal conservative. Money is rather scarce here, and if you have some, you can get pretty much what you need. This goes into example when I needed to get to Diyabakir. First try, fair price. Let's go. Three hours through the country. Destination: Hotel Class. A "five" star in Diyabakir. Like a wedding gown at a rodeo. I need to find Elif , who is working on some credentials for me (with the rest of the ABC crew). I also want to hook up with Izzet. A very nice (seemingly) Kurd that I got to know the week before. He says his brother is a driver. That and Izzet's English... no problem to cover a Turkish trial.
Nazir is my driver. Good guy. Smoothe manners and seems like an American that can't speak English. This is part of the fun. You tend to learn more subtle things, but learn none the less. Turns out we piece some conversatin together, but not much. We do agree that if I come back to Silopi, he's my driver.


MORE---

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?