<$BlogRSDURL$>

Time to once again open my life up a little in order to share the plethora of wealth I'm about to absorb. I'm going to be back in Iraq through September, so hop on board and check back every couple of days, I'll do my best to update as much as possible. Questions? dtate38@cox.net And check out the site I'm working with: http://www.billroggio.com Support independent journalism!

Sunday, February 16, 2003

Roanoke Times Headline: MILLIONS WORLDWIDE PROTEST THE WAR

I was finally able to get a good sleep. Had to take sleeping pills, but it got it done (with a little help from beer). Of course that left me with quite the hangover and in a daze. Won't do that again.
Soley, who speaks very good English, shows up at the hotel and whisks me off. I'm supposed to be tracking down some info for ABC. I need to verify the rumor of a top level meeting between the Kurds, Turks, and Americans, but Soley is leaving to for the Army Monday and wants me to come with him.
After piling into a pickup truck with three of his friends, we take to the backstreets of Silopi. It's like going back in time a hundred years: Push carts, cobblestone streets, vendors. Has a late-1800's feel to it (at least what I think it would be like).
After a few minutes, we end up at one of his friends' house. Like everywhere, you go through a gate and there's the small stucco-like square house. From the outside it looks like a shack. On the inside it is very well kept with Turkish/Kurdish rugs crossing the floor. As per custom, you have to take off your shoes before entering, which we all do. Like everywhere else here, the tea and sweets are soon brought out and we're enjoying a DVD ripoff of Blade II. The quality is horrible and it has Turkish subtitles, but enjoyed it none the less. Another small thing that makes you appreciate home.
I'm probably the first American to step foot in this house and the little girl that lives here is very giddy when she sees me, as was the mother when I first met her. We don't stay too long, maybe an hour, but that's fine with me. I need to get some work done, so I ask them to take me to the border.
There we all get a fun picture with Flat Stanley and Soley and part ways for the final time. Of course, everyone is nervous when the camera comes out, but for Flat Stanley, I'd do anything! It doesn't take long for the border guards to chase me away, pushing me back a mile or so. Can't take pictures from here, so once again I shoot some and walk, shoot some and walk.
From here, the mountains of Iraq are the primary geographical landmarks. As the day grows on, the mountains glow orange and are snow capped. Very beautiful. I can't help but to think of all the refugees who died there 10 years ago and how it will be this time around. I also think of the KADEK rebels over there, and how they'll eventually fit into this story.
I make my way toward Silopi, stopping for better pictures of the tent city, which is slowly being built. There may be 6 people all together working on what is sure to be a major crisis. The Turks are determined to stop the refugees this time. Forcing them into camps on the Iraqi side. So far they've managed just around 300 tents. Considering they expect up to 500,000 refugees, it seems clear the Turks are putting this up as a show.
As I'm walking along, my phone rings. Could only be ABC and it was. It was Elif. She had some good news for me: A job! Only thing was, it had nothing to do with the war. Not only that, it had nothing to do with TV.
London's Daily Mail wants me to go to Gaziantep to cover a sensational trial. Not sensing the war will break out in three days, I jump at the chance to travel a little and make some money. The only problem is that it's more than 700km away and the trial is on Tuesday. Nothing like a good challenge.
I continue up the road and am able to shoot video of various things. The people, more refugee camp, the various military bases. This includes the area that was surrounded by a tall wall that locals say was being used by the Americans that "weren't there. I haven't seen any yet, but the Turkish soldiers get riled up quickly when you take pictures in that direction. To get what I believe is the US base, I hide between some rotted out oil trucks, just out of the guards' view, and shoot away.
I get some good pictures and move on. It's starting to get dark and I have a long trip ahead of me tomorrow. I get back to the hotel, separate my gear, and get ready for an adventure within an adventure.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?